Last Updated: December 8, 2020
What Information About Me Is Collected and Stored?
We may collect two basic types of information from you in conjunction with your use of the Sites, personal information and non-personal information. Personal information is information that you supply to us, as described more fully below, i.e., when you contact us, complete a survey, upload content, participate in a community, or provide your e-mail address. Personal information is any information that can individually identify you and includes, among other things, your name, e-mail address, telephone number, postal address, credit card, billing and contact information. Non-personal information includes information that does not personally identify you, but it may include tracking and usage information about your location, demographics, use of the Sites and the Internet.
As a general matter, you can browse the Sites without submitting your personal information to us and we do not collect any of your personal information. However, there are a few circumstances in which you may supply us or our agents with your personal information. The following lists the most common ways in which we may collect your personal information.
- Registration for an event sponsored by Foundation
- Uploading content to the Sites
- Submitting an application to work at Foundation
- Providing personal information in order to be contacted by Foundation
- Participation in surveys
- Signing up to receive alerts or other information via email, text or instant message from Foundation
- Participation in communities
- Submission of content or other data and information on any part of the Sites that permits it
- Any other place on the Sites where you knowingly volunteer personal information
In addition, when you interact with the Sites, we may collect certain information that does not identify you individually and our servers may automatically keep an activity log of your use of our Sites (“Non-Personal Information”). Generally, we collect and store the following categories of Non-Personal Information:
- Device information about your computer, browser, mobile device, or other device that you use to access the Sites. This information may include IP address, geolocation information, unique device identifiers, browser type, browser language, and other transactional information.
- Analytics and usage information about your use of the Sites.
- Additional “traffic data” and log files such as time of access, date of access, software crash reports, session identification number, access times, and referring Sites addresses.
- Other information regarding your use of the Sites, but which does not identify you personally.
We use both “session” cookies and “persistent” cookies. We also use various analytics companies. We do not use flash cookies, web storage, web beacons or other technology that tracks your browsing history across multiple Sites.
How Do We Use Your Information?
We use the information we learn from you to help us personalize and continually improve your experience on the Sites. We may use your Personal and Non-Personal Information in the following ways:
- To communicate with you about changes to our policies
- To disclose anonymized Personal Information to disclose statistics and analytics and other details regarding the use of our Sites.
- To optimize or improve our products, services and operations
- To automatically update the Sites on your device
- To detect, investigate, and prevent activities that may violate our policies or be illegal
- To perform statistical, demographic, and marketing analyses of users of the Sites
Who Do We Provide Your Information To?
We have third party agents, subsidiaries, affiliates and partners that perform functions on our behalf, such as content management tools, analytics, customer service, fraud protection, etc. These entities have access to the Personal Information needed to perform their functions and are contractually obligated to maintain the confidentiality and security of that Personal Information. They are restricted from using, selling, distributing or altering this data in any way other than to provide the requested services to the Sites.
We may also use or disclose Personal Information if required to do so by law or in the good-faith belief that such action is necessary to (a) conform to applicable law or comply with legal process served on us or the Sites; (b) protect and defend our rights or property, the Sites or our users, and (c) act under emergency circumstances to protect the personal safety of us, our affiliates, agents, or the users of the Sites or the public. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations for fraud protection.
What Steps Are Taken To Keep Personal Information Secure?
We are concerned about ensuring the security of your Personal Information. We exercise great care in providing secure transmission of your information from your device to our servers. Personal Information collected by our Sites are stored in secure operating environments that are not available to the public. Our security procedures mean that we may occasionally request proof of identity before we disclose your Personal Information to you. Please understand, however, that while we try our best to safeguard your Personal Information once we receive it, no transmission of data over the Internet or any other public network can be guaranteed to be 100% secure.
How Can We Transfer Your Personal Information?
How Long Do We Keep Your Information?
Following termination or deactivation of your account, Foundation or its service providers may retain information (including your profile information) for a commercially reasonable time for backup, archival, and/or audit purposes. If you have any questions about termination or deactivation of your account, please contact us directly at email@example.com.
What Happens When I Link To or From Another Site?
Changes to This Policy
Information for Users in Europe and Elsewhere Outside The U.S.
Our Sites are targeted to the United States. If you use our Sites outside of the United States, you understand that we may collect, process, and store your personal information in the United States and other countries. The laws in the U.S. regarding personal information may be different from the laws of your state or country. Any such transfers will comply with safeguards as required by relevant law. If applicable, you may have a right to claim compensation for damages caused by a breach of relevant data protection laws.